Thursday, February 7, 2008

paul potts: the average prodigy



I've never seen Simon so surprised. You would think that he's seen just about everything--especially as a judge for American Idol. Well, I guess that Simon would have never considered Paul Potts, an average, odd looking cell phone salesman, to be the next American Idol of the UK.

This fantasy, of being normal and discovering a legendary talent, is one fantasy that many people dream of before they fall asleep. We all want to be remembered, be famous, or do something great with our lives. Every time I watch this video I get chills. These are the kind of chills that are the calling of greatness in every individual. These are chills that feed the yearn to greatness and inspire us to achieve. It is inspiring to know that everyone, especially an average person such as Paul, has a chance. To even imagine that normal people are all around us and have the potential to change the world, promote peace, feed the hungry, or share the passion of opera, is beyond comprehension.

Paul stated in the beginning of the video that his dream was doing what he was called to do. In his case it was singing opera. This brings me to the question: What is my calling? What is your calling? Is it to achieve greatness? Is it to be recored and documented in textbooks? Is it to be remembered forever? I agree with Paul. Our dreams are interwoven into our callings, our desires, our greatness. The key to achieving our dreams and greatness is to fulfill our calling. Paul liked singing opera. That was his greatness--his ability to share music with others. He does it in such a way not only is Simon taken aback, but leads us all to indulge in our fantasies of greatness and become what we are called to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I absolutely loved this video and the cute man known as Paul Potts. At first, I thought the video would be the comical type where Simon would have a nasty comment at the end, which he usually does. However, this man was incredibly talented and how he kept his fantastic singing ability a secret is shocking to me. I am still in awe that he was such a gifted man with an ordinary background. I agree with Kara that this video is inspiring and to me, truly heart-warming. I also believe that each individual has a calling or a certain task that he or she is meant to do within their lifetime. It does not need to change the lives of others, but it can. Here, in college, I wonder everyday what I am supposed to be doing with my future. It seems illogical to me that such young people should be forced to make decisions that will alter their lives forever. Maybe I will make the wrong decision and discover later in life what my true calling was, just like Paul Potts. Awesome video choice, Kara.